Rapid Report

MASSIVE TRADE BETWEEN KIRBY AND ALTIZER SENDS VOTTO TO MEERKATS...BLUE TACO TRUCK STILL MISSING WITH KIRBY WHO REFUSES TO START #3B or CATCHER...TOM WHITT SEEN SNIFFING AROUND JAMILE WEEKS LOCKER...JOEY ABEL asking about Choo

Monday, May 24, 2010

The man, the myth, the SOB: A look into the life of Commish Kirby

Billy Grant
The Bigs Insider

Martinsville--Sam Kirby eats dry oatmeal for breakfast("Modern-day nails," he says). After a pumping gold bullion weights("Keeping it real"), he goes for a run on his elephant-skin treadmill("Better on my knees."). Kirby is a man that few people know and even less people understand.

On top of the world: In the off-season Kirby maintains a tea farm where he employs 6-12 year old migrant workers at $2.00 an hour. "If not me than who?" Kirby asks.

Kirby the current Bigs baseball commissioner, manager of the Martinsville Meerkats and the Director of Baseball Operations for the Washington Whales keeps a busy schedule. Juggling three major franchises seems like too much for many, but not for a man who gathers much of his energy from maple and brown sugar oatmeal. "He's a tireless worker," Kirby's personal assistant Harry Jazzercise said of Kirby, "and a gigantic pervert."

A man with few true friends: Kirby looks out his front gate at the outside world who loves and fears him.

Managers around the league respect and fear Kirby much like citizens fear a ruthless tyrant. "Last year he fined me for looking at him funny," Portland Pats manager Todd Smith said, "then he made me pay the fine in Yoruba currency. Imagine asking for that at your local bank." "He runs the league with an ironfist," MLB.com analyst Peter Gammons said of Kirby "and lives life like a bull in a china shop."

Kirby's success has come at the cost of lasting partnerships. For example, the flight of the longtime Bigs team, the Greenville Gaywads, was a result of Kirby's unparalleled hubris. "Kirby made it look like I wanted out," manager Brian Whitaker said last week, "but he was trying to broker a deal that would require me to give him weekly foot massages. Even though Sam has beautiful feet, good enough for him to be a foot model for women's shoes, I walked out the door."

But few can dispute the fact that right now Kirby has a baseball team in second place, another in third and a league that is reaping the benefits of his leadership. And despite his questionable lifestyle his hometown is still buying into the Kirby brand. "We can't keep oatmeal in stock," Betty West manager of the Winn Dixie in Martinsville said, "people are even eating it dry in the check-out line."

3 comments:

  1. Kirby once sired a gold tiger with an icy stare with a lion. Hard to believe, but I was there. I am now blind because of it. Kirby pays my healthcare bills. The man is a saint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was 13 Mr. Kirby fired me because my "hands were too big" to be helpful on his tea farm. I was angry at first but thanks to the 80 hr work weeks making $1.50 an hour I was able to buy my grandmother a new oxcart when I returned home. Thanks Mr. Kirby for your generosity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir Kirby helped pay for my village school. The school lacked books and blackboards, but the tea farm outside was glorious. We often had PE classes all day where got to pick leaves. Ah, my misspent youth...it brings a tear to my eye. There is now a statue of Kirby inside my village square. The villagers are taught early in life not to look the statue in the eye.

    ReplyDelete